Job Title: Actuarial Manager
Target Start Date: 02/10/2023
Contract Type: Permanent, Part Time, Full Time, Job Share option available
Salary Range: Competitive
Location: London/Eastleigh - Hybrid
Actuarial Manager: Our Actuarial Department is looking to bring on board an experienced Reserving Actuary to take a pivotal role within the Motor Team, based from either our London or Eastleigh office. The role would suit someone who enjoys leading both people and projects, particularly where it comes to analysing and communicating the drivers of performance.
The Actuarial Motor Team is primarily responsible for Reserving, forecasting performance and providing valuable insights to various stakeholders to support business decisions, covering all motor lines which make up almost three quarters of the Ageas portfolio. The team plays an essential role in helping the business to understand performance during vastly changing market conditions, across issues including the current inflationary environment, regulatory change and the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic. If you really enjoy digging into the drivers of claims experience and explaining these to the business, and prefer a high degree of variety in your day-to-day work, we think you’ll love the type of work we offer. We pride ourselves on the insight we provide to improve performance, both across Reserving output and in supporting the longer-term pricing process. Alongside the rest of the Actuarial Department and wider business, the team is also underway with several exciting business transformations to make us ready for a technology-driven future, modernising our own way of working, while continuing to offer technical expertise in a number of areas.
Working regularly with colleagues in Finance, Claims, Risk and Underwriting, the Actuarial Manager will support the Head of the Motor team and the Chief Actuary in all aspects of the team’s work across multiple areas; therefore a proven track record of preparing and presenting a wide range of actuarial analysis to stakeholders is crucial. Experience managing and mentoring others to ensure the team develops and delivers consistently high-quality output is also highly desirable.
The Actuarial Manager role would suit someone coming from a consultancy background who wants to make a move into industry without losing the variety, or someone who has relevant in-house experience and wants to broaden their role and take the next step in their career. The role offers a high degree of autonomy and the Actuarial Manager must be a confident self-starter with the ability to prioritise work, make confident decisions and use data to solve abstract problems and deliver high impact, intelligent solutions.
The main responsibilities of the Actuarial Manager:
- Manage and oversee elements of the quarterly and monthly reserve review exercises, prepare high quality reports explaining the results as well as additional claims related analyses.
- Conduct and guide in-depth claims analysis to produce actionable insight for the wider business, communicating results and their implications.
- Get involved in and assist in steering the department’s transformation projects and other strategic priorities.
- Review work prepared by other team members and be heavily involved in the preparation of clear and effective communications to present the results.
- Line management of analysts, providing regular and effective feedback and supporting all aspects of staff development.
The successful Actuarial Manager will have:
- Significant General Insurance knowledge and Actuarial experience, with a sound understanding of Reserving and related analysis, and Pricing principles.
- Strong problem-solving skills, and the ability to act with a high degree of autonomy.
- Experience managing and mentoring others, with the ability to lead by example, maintain a visible leadership presence, and manage performance effectively.
- A proactive and innovative approach to Project Management, including the ability to delegate effectively, ensuring appropriate participation and support.
- Strong communication skills, experience of preparing and presenting technical reports for non-actuarial stakeholders.
- A relevant Actuarial qualification (IFoA or equivalent).
Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy within the Actuarial Manager role based in London:
At Ageas we offer a wide range of benefits to support you and your family inside and outside of work, which helped us achieve, Top Employer status in the UK.
Flexible Working - Smart Working @ Ageasgives employees flexibility around location (as long as it’s within the UK) and, for many of our roles, flexibility within the working day to manage other commitments, such as school drop offs etc. We also offer all our vacancies part-time/job-shares . We also offer a minimum of 35 days holiday (inc. bank holidays) and you can buy and sell days.
Supporting your Health – Dental Insurance Health Cash Plan, Health Screening, Will Writing, Voluntary Critical Illness, Mental Health First Aiders, Well Being Activities – Yoga, Mindfulness.
Supporting your Wealth – Annual Bonus Schemes, Annual Salary Reviews, Competitive Pension, Employee Savings, Employee Loans.
Supporting you at Work - Well-being activities, yoga, mindfulness sessions, Sports and Social Club events and more.
Supporting you and your Family – Maternity/pregnant parent/primary adopter entitlement of 16 weeks’ at full pay and paternity/non-pregnant parent/co-adopter at 8 weeks’ full pay.
Benefits for Them – Partner Life Assurance and Critical Illness cover
Getting Around – Car Salary Exchange, Cycle Scheme, Vehicle Breakdown Cover
Get some Tech – Deals on various gadgets including Wearables, Tablets and Laptops.
Supporting you back to work - Return to work programme after maternity leave
We’re one of the largest car and home insurers in the UK. Our people help Ageas to be a thriving, creative and innovative place to work, which is echoed in the service we provide to over four million customers.
As an inclusive employer, we encourage anyone to apply. We’re a signatory of the Race at Work Charter and Women in Finance Charter, a Stonewall diversity champion and a Disability Confident Employer (which means interviews are guaranteed for applicants with a disability who meet the minimum role criteria). For more information please see Ageas Everyone.
Our aim is to have great people everywhere in our business and we’re always looking for outstanding people to join us. Most roles across Ageas allow a proportion of your time to be spent working from home and we’re open to discussing flexible working, including full-time, part-time or job share arrangements.
To find out more about Ageas, see About Us.
Want to be part of a Winning Team? Come and join Ageas.
Click on the ‘Apply button’ to be considered for our Actuarial Manager opportunity at Ageas in London.