Location: London or Ipswich
AXA XL is looking for an Operational Risk Manager to join the Risk Governance, Internal Control and Operational Risk Centre of Excellence team.
The successful candidate will assist AXA XL to continue embedding a forward looking, robust risk management culture across the business and ensure existing and emerging threats are identified, understood and managed within appetites in order to support the delivery of the business strategy. The candidate will have excellent communication skills and work with teams across the globe on a daily basis.
What will your essential responsibilities include?
- Lead various initiatives and embed the Operational risk framework and methodology at AXA XL, including the qualitative Risk Assessment
- Complete the quantitative Operational Risk scenarios in line with AXA Group requirements, including supporting documentation, and provide input into the AXA XL Internal Model
- Lead Operational risk loss event reporting and promotion of risk awareness and culture of risk management across the Division. Review and analyse root causes of loss events and recommend actions to prevent future occurrences
- Provide guidance and support to legal entity Risk Managers to ensure robust application of the Operational risk methodology across the Division
- Engage in discussions with the business to continually ensure appropriate monitoring of the Operational risk profile and developing risk mitigation strategies, including that on emerging risks, action completion, incidents and key risks indicators. Work with business units to develop and implement risk mitigation plans to minimise operational risks and ensure compliance with risk appetite thresholds
- Produce reporting and escalate Operational risk issues
- Collaborate with Information risk and Internal control, as well as other functions (including for example, Compliance, Operational Resilience), to ensure robust and holistic view of Operational risk is presented
- Engage with AXA Group, as required, on Operational Risk topics
- Represent Operational Risk Management at various Committee meetings as required
- Engage in key projects run by Risk Governance, Int Engage in Operational risk Second Opinion Reviews and influence senior management in action closure to mitigate key risks
- Support the usage of the risk management tool within AXA XL, including ensuring data quality related to Operational risk information
- Lead a small team of operational risk analysts
- You will report to the Head of Operational Risk
We’re looking for someone who has these abilities and skills:
- Bachelor and/or master’s degree in insurance/risk management, actuarial studies, finance, economics, mathematics, or business administration; or commensurate insurance/ risk management professional qualification
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and ability to work independently to deliver high-quality outputs
- Models effective leadership, negotiating and influencing skills. Experience managing small teams
- Subject Matter expertise in Risk Management and practical experience with operational risk frameworks
- Effective analytical skills to ensure understanding of operational risk exposures and trends
- Proficiency in utilising risk management tools and systems
- You are collaborative, team working and passionate about creating a positive work culture
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with having a robust commercial acumen
- Solid relationship management skills to manage a wide array of stakeholders from Board Level Directors, Leadership Team members, the business and at all levels throughout the organization. Ability to find and agree pragmatic solutions
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced global organization.
- Effective experience of risk management in the second line as well as experience of dealing with challenging situations
- Learning agility and desire for continued professional development, both in soft skills and technical skills
- Languages: English (fluent, verbally and written). French language skills desirable but not required