Job Reference: 108299
A new opportunity has arisen to join the UK Public Affairs Team, as Public Affairs Manager. In this varied role, you will support the Head of Public Affairs and Sustainability in managing Zurich's relationships with key external stakeholders.
You will provide strategic advice and guidance around how Zurich interacts with government departments, Parliament and trade bodies. You will be responsible for developing policy, responding to consultations and inquiries and advising the business on policy developments, and how they impact us, in Westminster. Whitehall and the devolved administrations. You will need to build and maintain internal and external relationships and represent Zurich externally at events and committees.
Many of our employees work flexibly in a variety of different ways, including part-time, flexible hours, job share, an element of working from home or compressed hours. This is because we want the best people for our roles, and we recognise that sometimes those people aren’t available full-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you may need.
What will you be doing?
- Designs and implements integrated communications and policy campaigns developed and initiated by the Public Affairs, Media and wider business leadership.
- Helps coordinate, develop and implement the organisation’s position and public policy strategy and coordinates with internal & external stakeholders, including with public affairs colleagues in other jurisdictions and with Zurich Group.
- Manages external strategic relationships to ensure a favourable public policy environment for the organisation.
- Horizon scans and works closely with Zurich’s internal teams to analyse legislative/policy initiatives impacting their areas, understand their priorities, advise on risks and opportunities, and accordingly develop policy positions and approaches that advance the interests of Zurich.
- Prepares draft papers on public policy issues to ensure internal alignment and positive external communication.
- Prepares briefings, speaking points and speeches for senior internal stakeholders.
- Manages relationships with industry bodies to derive best value from any memberships as well as representing Zurich on relevant committees or working groups.
- Represents Zurich at external events to share the company’s views and gather insights.
- Model behaviours that demonstrate commitment to corporate values.
- Provide guidance and support for team members.
- Take action to manage own personal development and encourage others to do the same.
What are we looking for?
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience in a public affairs role or similar either in-house, in an agency or in a legislative body
- You will have detailed knowledge of the UK’s political system and public policy environment
- You will be adept at building relationships, working cross-functionally and across different policy areas
- You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to distil complex information for internal and external audiences, as well as being a confident and credible spokesperson when representing the business externally
- You will have some experience of the financial services sector or other highly regulated sectors
- You will be a self-starter, highly organised with a strong attention to detail, with an ability to manage multiple tasks and complexity confidently
- You will be educated to degree level or above with politics or social sciences as a subject
- Some experience of working and influencing key internal stakeholders across a large organisation/across multiple organisations is desirable
- Speech writing skills are highly desirable
What happens next?
As an inclusive employer we want to ensure that all candidates feel comfortable and are able to perform at their best during the interview. You’ll have the opportunity to let us know of any reasonable adjustment or practical support needed when you apply.
Who we are:
At Zurich we aspire to be one of the most responsible and impactful businesses in the world and the best global insurer. Together we’re creating a brighter future for our customers, our people and our planet.
With over 55,000 employees in more than 170 countries, you’ll feel the support of being part of a strong and stable company who are a long-standing player in the insurance industry.
We’ve made a promise to each other and every employee; to focus on sustainable impact, to care about each other’s wellbeing, to use our diverse expertise to be curious and optimistic and to develop the skills needed for our future.
If you're interested in working in a dynamic and challenging environment for a company that recognises and rewards your creativity, initiatives and contributions - then Zurich could be just the place for you. Be part of something great.
At Zurich, our sense of community is strong and we’re particularly passionate about diversity and inclusion, which we’ve won numerous awards for. We want our people to bring the whole of themselves to work and ensure everybody is made to feel welcome, regardless of their background, beliefs or culture. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our customers, and so are committed to treating all of our applicants fairly and with respect, irrespective of their actual or assumed background, disability or any other protected characteristic.
We’ve an environment that places a real importance on our people’s wellbeing from a physical, mental, social and financial perspective. We work with our wellbeing partners and industry experts to provide the best advice and access to a wealth of lifestyle support. We’re also committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities.
We’re passionate about supporting employees to help others by getting involved in volunteering, charitable and community activity. Our charitable arm, Zurich Community Trust, is one of the longest-established corporate trusts in the UK. In that time, we’ve awarded grants and volunteered time to deserving causes in the UK valued at over £90 million. #li_hybrid
So make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.
- 12% defined non-contributory pension scheme.
- Annual company bonus.
- Income Protection.
- Life cover - four times your salary.
- 25 days holiday a year plus bank holidays.
- The option to buy up to an additional 20 days or sell some of your holiday.
- Three days paid volunteering.
- Up to 16 weeks' full pay for maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
Your health is important to us
- Access to Private medical insurance.
- Virtual GP appointments.
- Discounted gym membership.
- Free flu jab.
- Access to a wealth of support from our wellbeing partners.
We're making a difference
- Creating a brighter, more sustainable future underpins all that we do here in Zurich. We were the first insurer to sign the ‘UN Business Ambition for 1.5˚C’ pledge.
- Our charitable arm, Zurich Community Trust, has awarded grants and volunteered time to deserving causes in the UK valued at over £90 million.