Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
What Is the Opportunity?
We are looking for Global Underwriter to join our team in Redhill. Ideally you’ll have Global experience already, or we’ll also consider someone with broader commercial UK business. In this role you will be primarily responsible for assisting the Regional and Corporate underwriting teams to successfully acquire and retain multi-national insurance programmes through the application of specialist global underwriting knowledge and effective relationship management.
This role is responsible for: – Providing guidance and advice on global underwriting exposures to Regional and Corporate underwriting colleagues. Contributing to the Global team’s annual new business objective in accordance with individual underwriting authority (where applicable). Interacting and collaborating with the UK/US/Canadian global teams, INI Partners, Regional and Corporate underwriting colleagues, the Underwriting Officer team and other internal/external business associates. Delivering a service delivery to brokers and clients in accordance with Travelers standards.
Travelers Europe currently offers flexibility to employees who wish to work on a hybrid basis in accordance with our Hybrid Work Arrangements Policy. This entails full time employees working three days a week in the office and two days at home (or pro rata for part-time employees). This policy may be changed at the Company’s discretion.
This role is eligible for a £3,000 new joiner bonus. If you are successfully referred by an employee at Travelers Europe, both you and the person who referred you could be eligible for this bonus.
What Will You Do?
- Underwrite and assess global exposures to maximise business growth and profitability. Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority in addition to considered, intelligent and complete recommendations to technical underwriting/business leadership.
- Make prompt, sound decisions within underwriting authority and based on appropriate underwriting information. To negotiate terms and conditions consistent with underwriting requirements and service.
- Understand and execute Travelers’ underwriting strategies and principles to produce budgeted results.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation and information in account management systems and adherence to Travelers’ documentation standards.
- Actively engage and seek out training opportunities to further develop underwriting expertise.
- Seek out and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in other business units and regions to foster business development across Travelers.
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled regional and product underwriting and/or sales meetings.
- Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products) to meet Travelers’ service standards.
- Any other reasonable duties including those more specifically detailed in your Letter of Underwriting Authority.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- General knowledge of the global insurance marketplace.
- General knowledge of organisational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day to day work activities.
- Intermediate knowledge and ability required in respect of analytical thinking, judgement, decision making, communication and strong team work. demonstrates proven ability in enhanced retention strategies.
- Demonstrates intermediate ability in the areas of customer focus and positive broker interaction.
- Demonstrates intermediate knowledge and ability in respect of Microsoft Office systems including Excel and PowerPoint.
- Typically demonstrates intermediate relationship management skills.
- ACII qualification preferred.
What is a Must Have?
- Previous experience of underwriting Property and casualty lines of business, ideally including global exposures.
What Is in It for You?
- Private Medical Insurance: On commencement of employment, you are eligible for single cover provided by Travelers, with the option to add cover for your dependents, at your expense through payroll deduction.
- Retirement: Travelers will make a basic contribution of 9% of pensionable salary to your Group Personal Pension Plan (“GPPP”). If you decide to contribute an additional amount from your salary, you will receive an increased company contribution up to a maximum of 3%. This would bring the total company contribution to 12%.
- Holiday Entitlement: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 25 days holiday entitlement annually, plus the opportunity to purchase additional days to allow for up to a total of 35 holidays per year.
- Wellness Programme: The Travelers wellness programme is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Employee Assistance programme provides access to professional counseling services and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through the EAP, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards programme that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.