Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
What Is the Opportunity?
We are looking for an Associate Underwriter primarily looking after renewal business. With some previous property and casualty underwriting experience you will assist the wider underwriting team, making sound underwriting decisions through the life cycle of the policy; supporting Branch in consistently achieving financial plan through superior service, interacting and collaborating with the team, Regional Underwriting Offices, Market Segment Colleagues and other critical internal/external business associates.
Travelers Europe currently offers flexibility to employees who wish to work on a hybrid basis in accordance with our Hybrid Work Arrangements Policy. This entails full time employees working three days a week in the office and two days at home (or pro rata for part-time employees). This policy may be changed at the Company’s discretion.
This role is eligible for a £3,000 new joiner bonus. If you are successfully referred by an employee at Travelers Europe, both you and the person who referred you could be eligible for this bonus.
What Will You Do?
Be Committed, Be Connected, Be Creative and Be Energised – these are the values we are passionate about. Understanding and embracing our values will shape your success and contribute to making Travelers Europe a great place to work.
- Underwrite and assess risk to maximise business growth and profitability for allocated book of business. Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority in addition to considered, intelligent and complete recommendations to technical underwriting/business leadership.
- On pre-agreed accounts, actively participates and supports Development and Renewal Underwriters in new business, renewal and mid-term alteration underwriting activities that support underwriting decisions, consistent with business growth and profit.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/ information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards.
- Understand, embrace, and execute Travelers’ underwriting strategies and principles to produce budgeted results.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in other parts of the organisation, including Head Office, Risk Control, Distribution, Claims, Actuarial, etc. as needed.
- Actively engage and seek out training opportunities to further develop underwriting and sales expertise.
- Working with the Development Underwriter, develop and leverage productive relationships through broker visibility and a disciplined sales management approach (e.g. planning and follow-up for broker and end customer interaction, visits and meetings) all in support of business objectives.
- Working with Distribution, effectively assist in the development, documentation and execution of sales plans with emphasis on increasing marketing and sales activities outside the office. Work tactically with brokers to ensure they have an appropriate level of understanding of TICL goals and objectives.
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled sales and underwriting meetings.
- Work effectively as a productive and supportive team member in conjunction with more senior team members, supporting business unit and company objectives.
- Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products) to meet Travelers’ service standards
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To be successful, you will need to consistently deliver a great experience in every customer contact; connect with the right partners internally to find creative solutions to problems; be a role model; and consistently deliver on your commitments.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- University degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of the local insurance marketplace. Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn about the enterprise and business unit critical business issues and financial drivers.
- Working knowledge of organisational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities.
- Basic Product/Technical proficiency commensurate to incumbent's underwriting authority.
- Demonstrates basic ability in the areas of customer focus and positive broker interaction.
- Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) Certification preferred
What is a Must Have?
- Previous experience of underwriting in Property and Casualty classes of business.
- Incumbents are required to hold a full and valid driving licence.
What Is in It for You?
- Private Medical Insurance: On commencement of employment, you are eligible for single cover provided by Travelers, with the option to add cover for your dependents, at your expense through payroll deduction.
- Retirement: Travelers will make a basic contribution of 9% of pensionable salary to your Group Personal Pension Plan (“GPPP”). If you decide to contribute an additional amount from your salary, you will receive an increased company contribution up to a maximum of 3%. This would bring the total company contribution to 12%.
- Holiday Entitlement: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 25 days holiday entitlement annually, plus the opportunity to purchase additional days to allow for up to a total of 35 holidays per year.
- Wellness Programme: The Travelers wellness programme is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Employee Assistance programme provides access to professional counseling services and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through the EAP, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards programme that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.