Job Reference: AP925148LonDAM
Purpose of the role
Initially the holder will play a critical and leading role in delivering the Data Transformation project focussing on working with the IT team and Hexaware to deliver the new EDP. They will also help with the data analysis/visualisation components of the use cases to demonstrate value to the business. As the project reaches completion the focus will turn to working with the data scientists and actuarial team to produce analytics and visualisations to help the underwriting teams improve profitability. A key relationship will be with the IT team and Data Engineer to ensure that all requests from the business are considered/prioritised and run seamlessly from idea to delivery utilising the skills of each team.
Along with the Data Science Manager they will be responsible for defining the strategic data requirements for delivery of data consumption use cases. The holder of this role will comfortable interacting with all teams within the business to understand, capture, prioritise and document business and technical requirements leading to the deployment of automated, optimised and highly effective analytics solutions.
The holder of this role will have strong data analysis and visualisation skills with additional working knowledge of data science and programming. This all round knowledge will be key to ensure effective communication and collaboration with the data science and actuarial teams.
Duties and accountabilities
- Leads the data analytics/visualisation capability of the business which will drive:
- Design, maintain and update the key information used at the point of sale for underwriters (ultimately the underwriting dashboard).
- Working with the the IT team and Data Engineer to make any required changes to the semantic/curated layers or data marts.
- Working with IT to select the appropriate Artificial Intelligence tools to provide risk insight direct to the underwriter.
- Discussion of analytics and insights with business and supporting data awareness and analysis below the UEX.
- Design dashboards and visualisations bringing to life new analyses performed by the actuarial team and data scientists.
- Data Analytics support to back office functions for decision-making (e.g. exposure management, finance, HR, claims).
- Work with data scientists to research, identify, cleanse (in conjunction with the the IT team and Data Engineer), analyse, visualise and draw insights from external data sources.
- Work with the the IT team and Data Engineer to educate business on what information is available to encourage self service and idea generation for future analyses (i.e. gathering requirements/use cases).
- Assist the Head of Data Analytics and Portfolio Undrwriting with Board/Committee reporting including taking responsibility for extra insight reports and class deep dives.
- Ensure the continued development and challenge of fundamental approaches and best practices in regards to portfolio management.
- Work closely with Data Science Manager to ensure upskilling of data scientists/data analysts to learn new and emerging techniques and to create flexibility of resource while still maintaining accountability.
- Work with the Data Science Manager to define the strategic data requirements for delivery of data consumption use cases. Particular accountabilities for the Data Analytics Manager:
- In short term work closely with the the IT team and Data Engineer and outsourced software engineers to ensure successful delivery of data transformation programme.
- Collaborate with technical and non-technical stakeholders to identify, document, analyse, and prioritise data requirements.
- Translate business requirements into data analysis tasks.
- Create and refine stories and epics to be run as part of an Agile delivery framework.
- Create high-quality deliverables such as reporting specifications and visualisations.
- In future state work closely with data scientists and the IT team and Data Engineer to prioritise and deliver large analytics requests (requiring more than a specified number of days of effort). This includes business naming conventions and functional specifications.
Skills, knowledge and experience
The successful candidate will:
- Proven management track record
- Proven stakeholder management including engagement with technical experts and senior management
- Expert in data analysis/visualisation techniques
- Programming skills (Python an advantage)
- Working knowledge of some data science techniques
- Demonstrable data analysis/visualisation experience preferably in a Lloyd's environment
- Highly proficient in required IT packages
- Good organisation and planning
- Good written and face to face communication skills
- Experience in a similar role supporting the development of data consumption use cases
- Experience using Agile methodologies and proven ability to take complex requirements and break them down into epics and technical user stories an advantage
- Experience working with Azure data technology stack such as Data Factory, SQL, Synapse Analytics, PowerBI an advantage