Job Reference: AP924977LonDSM
Purpose of the role
Initially the holder will play a critical role in delivering the Data Transformation project focusing on the delivery of use cases to demonstrate value to the business. As the project reaches completion the focus will turn to enhancing the data science capability of the business to help the underwriting teams with insights to improve profitability and aid automation/efficiencies where possible across all departments.
Along with the Data Analytics Manager they will be responsible for defining the strategic data requirements for delivery of data consumption use cases. The holder of this role will comfortable interacting with all teams within the business to understand, capture, prioritise and document business and technical requirements leading to the deployment of automated, optimised and highly effective analytics solutions.
The holder of this role will have strong data science and programming skills with additional statistical, data manipulation and data analysis capability. This all round knowledge will be key to ensure effective communication and collaboration with the data analytics and actuarial teams. They will also demonstrate strong management skills.
Duties and accountabilities
- Leads the data science capability of the business which will drive:
- Data cleansing (e.g. matching of premium and claims for delegated business, cause codes).
- Work alongside actuarial team to perform data mining to produce extra insights to be available to underwriters to improve profitability (e.g. partnering with the underwriters to identify profitable micro-market segments).
- Using data science/AI techniques to automate manual tasks across the business (e.g. sanctions checks, fraud monitoring).
- Work with data analysts and actuaries to research, identify, cleanse, analyse, visualise and draw insights from external data sources.
- Work with the Head of Data Analytics and Portfolio Undrwriting supporting the business with proactive analytics and insights.
- Work alongside actuarial team who will be able to use their business knowledge to extract key insights from the some of the more 'black box' data science techniques.
- Work closely with Data Analytics Manager to ensure upskilling of data scientists/data analysts to learn new and emerging techniques and to create flexibility of resource while still maintaining accountability.
- Work with the Data Analytics Manager to define the strategic data requirements for delivery of data consumption use cases. Particular accountabilities for the Data Science Manager:
- Collaborate with technical and non-technical stakeholders to identify, document, analyse, and prioritise data requirements.
- Facilitate communication and coordination with the IT team and Data Engineer to design effective data solutions that meet business needs.
- Create high-quality deliverables such as reporting specifications and visualisations.
- Collaborate with the I.T Team to establish and maintain best practices and operational procedures for effective data management within the organisation.
Skills, knowledge and experience
The successful candidate will have/be:
- Proven stakeholder management including engagement with technical experts and senior management alongside proven leadership abilities
- Expert in data science techniques
- Advanced programming skills (Python an advantage)
- well developed statistical, data manipulation and data analysis skills
- Relevant academic background
- Demonstrable actuarial and/or data experience preferably in a Lloyd's environment
- Highly proficient in required IT packages
- Good organisation and planning
- Good written and face to face communication skills
- Experience in a similar role supporting the development of data consumption use cases
- Experience working with Azure data technology stack such as Data Factory, SQL, Synapse Analytics, PowerBI an advantage