Underwriting Assistant - 12 Month FTC
We’re a market leading, global insurer and reinsurer. With an innovative approach to solving complex risks, we have the knowledge and experience. And we’re looking for more.
Our Ipswich-based operations teams are part of the Middle Office division and are at the centre of our insurance organisation. We look for innovative and creative individuals to join our experienced and professional colleagues, who strive to challenge and continually look at how to improve the way we do things, taking ownership and leading their own development and career opportunities. We offer flexibility with our smart working initiative, combing working from home and from our Ipswich office, or attending our London office from time to time. Our culture fosters collaboration, customer service and colleague development.
There really is potential to have so much variation in Middle Office if you want it as part of your career, and to develop skills in a lot of different areas too, the industry in which we work in Insurance or Reinsurance, the IT Systems we operate to manage our business, through to Project, Process or Change Management type disciplines.
Ipswich is an idyllic rural location, with good transport links to London and just 20 minutes from the coast. The AXA XL office is easily accessible, only a 10 minute walk from the train station and has the benefit of free onsite car parking as well as a subsidised staff restaurant - we even give our employees an allowance for lunch! We are a short walk from the picturesque waterfront, an ideal place for a lunchtime stroll with colleagues and there are plenty of good restaurants to choose from for a bite to eat on the way home or perhaps before a trip to the local theatre or cinema. Our office is newly refurbished, it’s modern and bright featuring up to date technologies, and plenty of collaboration areas to meet with colleagues to share ideas and get together.
DISCOVER your opportunity
What will your essential responsibilities include?
Submission/ Renewal Phase
- Timely requests to off-shore team for quote creation and name clearance activities
- Timely and accurate binding (or declinature) of quotes
- Use underwriting tools to support the underwriter in defining the structure of UK business
- Timely and accurate processing of premiums
- Proactive engagement with underwriting to ensure new and renewed accounts have an efficient and smooth account hand over, ensuring information received is understood and complete in order to process policies on system(s)
- Ensures timely and complete documentation of files handled by role holder in UW file (on Document Management System)
- Accountable for correct (RI) premium, (RI) commission and tax bookings in processing systems
- Premium collection accountability of accounts globally and take appropriate proactive action to ensure optimal collection performance
- At request of Underwriting, ensure timely and high-quality implementation of mid-term endorsements, issuance of certificates of insurance and focus on premium collection monitoring (according to the processing rules and guidelines, incl. system data entries)
- Ensure appropriate communication flow between Underwriting, Middle Office and Shared Services
- Foster positive relationship with internal/external counterparts to get a mutual understanding of their needs
- Deal with and address requests originating from client/broker immediately and refer to Underwriting as required and as timely as possible. Seek confirmation from Underwriting prior to implementation of change request
- Develop an internal network for facilitating the transfer of information and data between functions and departments in order to service the requirements of the underwriters and clients/brokers
- Develop expert level knowledge with regards to systems, and processes and keep abreast of new guidelines published.
- Ensure data quality accuracy ratios at the defined level/metrics
- Support existing backlog clean up exercises
- Support project work to ensure that existing processes meet requirements
- Provide Day to Day support to our Shared Services team based in India
You will report to the Operations Manager UK .
SHARE your talent
We’re looking for someone who has these abilities and skills:
- Previous retail, casualty or property insurance experience is beneficial
- Ability to achieve processing goals and produce quality results while working under pressure
- Experience in administration / client service function
- Advanced working techniques / self-organization skills to manage assigned portfolio of accounts, keep overview of to-do’s and various deadlines by account, keeping track of internal and external correspondence by account
- Management of Shared Service Centre functions and processes beneficial
- Premium Collection knowledge and ability to work through related queries
- Project knowledge and engaged in implementing improvements
- MS Office knowledge
- Advanced spreadsheet knowledge beneficial
- Genius knowledge beneficial
FIND your future
AXA XL, the P&C and specialty risk division of AXA, is known for solving complex risks. For mid-sized companies, multinationals and even some inspirational individuals we don’t just provide re/insurance, we reinvent it.
How? By combining a comprehensive and efficient capital platform, data-driven insights, leading technology, and the best talent in an agile and inclusive workspace, empowered to deliver top client service across all our lines of business − property, casualty, professional, financial lines and specialty.
With an innovative and flexible approach to risk solutions, we partner with those who move the world forward.
Learn more at axaxl.com
Inclusion & Diversity
AXA XL is committed to equal employment opportunity and will consider applicants regardless of gender, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity and origins, marital status, religion, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
At AXA XL, we know that an inclusive culture and a diverse workforce enable business growth and are critical to our success. That’s why we have made a strategic commitment to attract, develop, advance and retain the most diverse workforce possible, and create an inclusive culture where everyone can bring their full selves to work and can reach their highest potential. It’s about helping one another — and our business — to move forward and succeed.
- Five Business Resource Groups focused on gender, LGBTQ+, ethnicity and origins, disability and inclusion with 20 Chapters around the globe
- Robust support for Flexible Working Arrangements
- Enhanced family friendly leave benefits
- Named to the Diversity Best Practices Index
- Signatory to the UK Women in Finance Charter
Learn more at axaxl.com/about-us/inclusion-and-diversity. AXA XL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At AXA XL, Sustainability is integral to our business strategy. In an ever-changing world, AXA XL protects what matters most for our clients and communities. We know that sustainability is at the root of a more resilient future. Our 2023-26 Sustainability strategy, called “Roots of resilience”, focuses on protecting natural ecosystems, addressing climate change, and embedding sustainable practices across our operations.
- Valuing nature: How we impact nature affects how nature impacts us. Resilient ecosystems - the foundation of a sustainable planet and society – are essential to our future. We’re committed to protecting and restoring nature – from mangrove forests to the bees in our backyard – by increasing biodiversity awareness and inspiring clients and colleagues to put nature at the heart of their plans.
- Addressing climate change: The effects of a changing climate are far reaching and significant. Unpredictable weather, increasing temperatures, and rising sea levels cause both social inequalities and environmental disruption. We're building a net zero strategy, developing insurance products and services, and mobilizing to advance thought leadership and investment in societal-led solutions.
- Integrating ESG: All companies have a role to play in building a more resilient future. Incorporating ESG considerations into our internal processes and practices builds resilience from the roots of our business. We’re training our colleagues, engaging our external partners, and evolving our sustainability governance and reporting.
- AXA Hearts in Action: We have established volunteering and charitable giving programs to help colleagues support causes that matter most to them, known as AXA XL’s “Hearts in Action” programs. These include our Matching Gifts program, Volunteering Leave, and our annual volunteering day – the Global Day of Giving.
For more information, please see axaxl.com/sustainability