Job Reference: R0017205
This is a great opportunity to join an exciting growing team in which you will provide a pivotal role where the focus is on the areas that are critical to achieve profitability and performance targets for a specialty lines insurer.
The PDS team is a multi-functional empowered, creative and autonomous team within Internationals largest Underwriting division, Wholesale. It is embedded within the underwriting business and is represented within the Wholesale Leadership Team. Its focus is on the areas that are critical to achieve profitability and performance targets for a specialty lines insurer: Portfolio Management, Data, Analytics and Insights and Pricing Model development.
What part will you play?
If you’re looking for a place where you can make a meaningful difference, you’ve found it. The work we do at Markel gives people the confidence to move forward and seize opportunities, and you’ll find your fit amongst our global community of optimists and problem-solvers. We’re always pushing each other to go further because we believe that when we realize our potential, we can help others reach theirs.
Join us and play your part in something special!
The primary function of this position is to assist in providing valuable insights, solutions, services and operational improvements across Wholesale Markets through the use of data & insights. Activities will include portfolio data analysis and analytics projects, creating tooling and visualisation solutions and automation of data flows.
Key stakeholders will be the Portfolio Management Lead, Wholesale Underwriting, Underwriting Divisional Managing Directors (DMDs), Managing Director of Wholesale and the Actuarial function.
You will get to collaborate with the rest of PDS who use cutting edge data management, business intelligence and technical pricing in market leading programmes and technology.
The PDS team provides support to the following Divisions within MINT Wholesale:
- Cyber writes many differing types of business and industry areas for cyber coverage
- Energy provides coverage on a worldwide basis for all aspects of upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas activities as well as renewable energy
- Equine provides coverage for Bloodstock and Livestock risks worldwide
- Marine provides coverage for liability, hull, war, terrorism, specie and cargo risks worldwide
- Professional and Financial Risks (PFR) underwrites business worldwide and covers traditional and emerging professional indemnity, management liability, financial institutions as well as specialist risk areas such as patents and libel & slander
- Trade Credit, Political Risk and Surety (TCPRS) underwrites a variety of trade and investment-related risks using expert knowledge of commercial counterparty and country risks across a wide variety of trade sectors and geographies
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide support for the implementation of active portfolio management across Wholesale Markets
- The Divisional Managing Directors (DMDs) and underwriters remain accountable for portfolio management and ultimately profitability within their teams. This role will be responsible for making appropriate recommendations and improvements to ensure the DMDs are equipped to actively portfolio manage their divisions
- Actively Monitor the key drivers of performance, at a class level across the Wholesale portfolio, to support DMDs in improving performance and driving remedial actions where necessary. This will include both the open market and delegated business
- Supporting the coordination of the quarterly business planning process, with active monitoring of performance against plan throughout the year. Set up standardised Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs) and ensure they are aligned with the business planning process
- Make recommendations and assist with Underwriter training on portfolio management techniques, at all levels, and work with the Training and Development team to ensure a programme of work is followed
- Develop strategic analytics, tools and insights to optimise portfolios and enable smarter underwriting decisions. Be an advocate for the use of data to support decision making
- Collaborate by sharing knowledge and experience within the team, as well as working with other Support Units which include but are not limited to: actuarial, underwriting operations, ITS, delegated and underwriting support services to resolve issues and support the achievement of PDS and wholesale business priorities
- Represent the PDS team, as appropriate, providing accurate and timely management information to MINT leadership, wholesale leadership and meetings as required
What you will bring to the role:
- Have outstanding multi-modal communications skills along with strong data visualisation skills for disseminating management information to various levels across Markel
- Have demonstrable experience in influencing and engaging with stakeholders using effective communication and ensuring consensus
- Be able to clearly articulate complex strategies, techniques and ideas to senior leadership and underwriters across multiple product lines
- Possess both strong analytical depth, the ability to independently problem solve and put forward recommendations
- Have an understanding of the Wholesale products, classes of business and operations of the specialty insurance market
- Have a proven track record to successfully lead and deliver to agreed timelines projects and initiatives that require involvement from business leaders across the company
- Possess a detailed solid understanding of the Microsoft office suite, with a focus on Excel and become comfortable with manipulating and analysing large, complex sets of data. Experience with data visualisation programmes, database use (SQL) and an awareness of advanced analytics/data science would be desirable but not essential
Who we are:
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a Fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better | We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you?
- A great starting salary plus an annual bonus and a strong benefits package…
- 25 days paid holiday plus Bank Holidays, with the opportunity to buy/sell extra leave
- Fantastic company pension scheme, private medical and dental cover, life assurance, travel insurance cover, income protection, season ticket loan as well as other great benefits on offer
- There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career and we can provide the support needed to do just that!
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
Markel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we want to hear from you. We are also happy to consider candidates who are looking for flexible working patterns.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are a Disability Confident Committed employer which means we want to ensure that you have a positive experience applying for a role at Markel and are able to perform at your best. If there are any adjustments we can reasonably make to ensure that the process is accessible for you at every stage please email email@example.com