Job Reference: R0017204
This is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting growing team in which you will provide a pivotal role where the focus is on the areas that are critical to achieve profitability and performance targets for a specialty lines insurer.
The Portfolio Development Solutions (PDS) team is a multi-functional empowered, creative and autonomous team within Internationals the largest Underwriting division, Wholesale. It is embedded within the underwriting business and is represented within the Wholesale Leadership Team. Its focus is on the areas that are critical to achieve profitability and performance targets for a specialty lines insurer: innovative Pricing Model Development, active Portfolio Management and delivery of a leading suite of Data, Analytics and Insights.
What part will you play? If you’re looking for a place where you can make a meaningful difference, you’ve found it. The work we do at Markel gives people the confidence to move forward and seize opportunities, and you’ll find your fit amongst our global community of optimists and problem-solvers. We’re always pushing each other to go further because we believe that when we realize our potential, we can help others reach theirs.
Join us and play your part in something special!
The primary function of this position is to build and maintain a suite of pricing models for Wholesale business. An analytical and problem-solving attitude is required to develop market leading models and to work alongside and contribute to active portfolio management in underwriting.
Key partners will be the Portfolio Model and Analytics Lead, Wholesale Underwriting, Underwriting Divisional Managing Directors (DMDs), Managing Director of Wholesale and the Actuarial function.
You will get to collaborate with the rest of PDS who use advanced data management, business intelligence and technical pricing in market leading programmes and technology.
The PDS team provides support to the following Divisions within MINT Wholesale:
- Cyber writes many differing types of business and industry areas for cyber coverage
- Energy provides coverage on a worldwide basis for all aspects of upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas activities as well as renewable energy
- Equine provides coverage for Bloodstock and Livestock risks worldwide
- Marine provides coverage for liability, hull, war, terrorism, specie and cargo risks worldwide
- Professional and Financial Risks (PFR) underwrites business worldwide and covers traditional and emerging professional indemnity, management liability, financial institutions as well as specialist risk areas such as patents and libel & slander
- Trade Credit, Political Risk and Surety (TCPRS) underwrites a variety of trade and investment-related risks using experienced knowledge of commercial counterparty and country risks across a wide variety of trade sectors and geographies
What you’ll be doing:
- Independently work with underwriting teams to develop pricing models across Wholesale including making appropriate recommendations and improvements to existing ones
- Working in a mixture of both Excel and Python, predominantly towards Python in the medium term
- Ensure models are crafted to make valuable contributions to underwriting and portfolio management
- Support on-going development of rates and rating factors using appropriate analytics on selected product lines as required by underwriters and management
- Design and build management information, benchmarking and important metric dashboards using relevant pricing model data
- Evaluate opportunities to use 3rd party data and advanced analytical techniques to enhance the technical pricing model solution.
- Support the Portfolio Management Lead and Data, Analytics and Insights Lead with ad-hoc analysis as required
- Collaborate by sharing knowledge and experience within the team, as well as working with other Support Units which include but are not limited to: actuarial, underwriting operations, ITS, delegated and underwriting support services to resolve issues and support the achievement of PDS and wholesale business priorities
- Represent the PDS team, as appropriate, providing accurate and timely management information to MINT leadership, wholesale leadership and meetings as required
What you will bring to the role:
- Have proven experience in developing technical pricing models in a mixture of either Excel or Python. In both would be a positive but not crucial
- Have proven experience in influencing and engaging with partners using effective communication and ensuring consensus
- Possess both strong analytical depth, the ability to independently problem solve and put forward recommendations
- Have a consistent track record to optimally lead and deliver to agreed timelines projects and initiatives that require involvement from business leaders across the company
- Possess a detailed proven understanding of the Microsoft office suite, with a focus on Excel and become comfortable with manipulating and analysing large, complex sets of data. Experience with data visualisation programmes, database use (SQL) and an awareness of advanced analytics/data science would be desirable but not essential
- Experience with insurance systems such as policy admin, underwriter workflow and cat management desirable but not essential
Markel Group (NYSE – MKL) a Fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
We’re all about people | We win together | We strive for better | We enjoy the everyday | We think further
What’s in it for you?
- A great starting salary plus an annual bonus and a strong benefits package…
- 25 days paid holiday plus Bank Holidays, with the opportunity to buy/sell extra leave
- Fantastic company pension scheme, private medical and dental cover, life assurance, travel insurance cover, income protection, season ticket loan as well as other great benefits on offer
- There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career and we can provide the support needed to do just that!
Are you ready to play your part?
Choose ‘Apply Now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
Markel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we want to hear from you. We are also happy to consider candidates who are looking for flexible working patterns.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are a Disability Confident Committed employer which means we want to ensure that you have a positive experience applying for a role at Markel and are able to perform at your best. If there are any adjustments we can reasonably make to ensure that the process is accessible for you at every stage please email firstname.lastname@example.org