Job Reference: 310105
QBE Europe is looking to recruit a Senior Finance Data Accountant to join our Data and Change team within Finance and Actuarial. This position will be to manage accounting and reporting activities ensuring the accuracy and consistency of underlying data, how it reconciles to the Accounting General Ledger, and to liaise with external and internal customers to explain the results, investigate differences and formulate new policies to improve the process.
Your new role
- Manage the preparation and maintenance of accurate data and financial data reconciliations in accordance with internal procedures and statutory requirements to ensure compliance with legal, regulatory, codes of conduct and best practice guidelines.
- Drive the measurable refinement of reconciliations and help reduce variances between systems and data sets to continuously improve the efficiency of activities within the Finance Department.
- Undertake investigations into complex problems and business change to assess risk and ensure delivery of both regular monthly requirements and projects/programmes, as applicable.
- Understand the financial data flow from source policy, claims and outwards reinsurance systems through to the calculated financial result. Deploy this knowledge to compile reconciliations, resolve issues and drive efficiencies in the current data architecture.
- Engage with our stakeholders to understand what Finance need from their data and how it can be delivered through correcting and enhancing our data architecture, reporting on controls and reconciliations in the data flow.
- Actively motivate and act as catalyst for action and change driving the continuous improvement and development of reconciliations, processes, and systems across finance and Actuarial aligned to strategic objectives.
- Work directly with members of the Finance Systems team, our third-party technology partners and other members of the IT and Data teams to perform root cause analysis of data errors, input to the design of appropriate solutions to resolve these errors and support delivery through to final deployment.
- Support Finance and IT in the management and closure of internal and external audit control findings.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders across the Department, wider local and Global functions including internal and external auditors, to ensure service delivery meets customer expectations.
- Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements to ensure obligations are met.
- Contribute and manage the refinement of process, procedures and systems to continuously improve the efficiency of data reconciliations and financial accounting reconciliations.
- Provide conclusions, advice, guidance and information on reconciliation outputs to support decision making and improve understanding of the potential impact on the financial and actuarial reporting processes within their finance team and the wider department.
- Excellent knowledge of relevant reconciliation and accounting software, and tools.
- Experience of working in a customer/supplier relationship with the necessary service delivery mindset.
- Experience of working across multiple teams to negotiate the successful delivery of monthly reconciliation requirements to deadlines.
- Experience of data analysis work, interrogation and compilation for high volume, complex data sets from multiple systems.
- Understanding of end-to-end data architectures, to critique existing reconciliation definitions/purpose and recommend changes.
- Strong understanding of the Finance function, processes, technologies, and implementation leading practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of best practice accounting.
- Strong communication and influencing skills to simplify and articulate complex concepts to both technical and non-technical audience.
- Negotiation skills to work with customers/suppliers to deliver work within the constraints of time/financial capacity/resource availability/etc.
- Ability to capture and communicate finance’s accounting and analysis requirements to non-finance specialist technology teams.
- Ability to manage multiple competing activities and prioritise effectively.
- Ability to quickly understand complex architecture and seek an understanding of key systems and their impact on finance.
- Ability to summarise the output and conclusions from large volumes of data for representation to Management, which facilitates downstream decision making.
Why QBE? At My Best
At QBE, we want our people to feel rewarded and inspired to perform at their best, that’s why we have created “At My Best”. It’s our connection, our way of showing we have your back. We understand that one size doesn’t fit all and that priorities can change depending on your life stage.
That is why our blend of wellbeing initiatives and benefits offer flexibility to suit what matters most to you. It’s in the culture of our business, our QBE DNA, to support our people. Everything we do is underpinned by our QBE DNA - because we know it’s not just what we do that matters, it’s how we do it that makes the difference. In addition to this, we also offer flexible parental leave for both parents and have several employee network groups that support and empower our diverse workforce.
At QBE, we view our people as our most precious asset. We understand the importance of fostering a work environment that is responsive to the changing needs of today's workforce. QBE aims to build a workplace that is fair and inclusive because we want to attract and retain the best people to do the job, we have adopted flexible working across the company and welcome this conversation. #LI-Hybrid
Some of the award’s QBE are proud to have won, been a finalist for, and shortlisted for include;
Employer of the Year 2022 Winner – Insurance Insider
British Claims Awards 2022 Winner - InsurTech Award
Insurance Times Claims Excellence Awards 2022 Winner - Claims Product Solution of the Year
Working Families Best Practice Awards 2021 Finalist for: Best COVID-19 Response
Insurance Post British Insurance Awards 2022 Shortlisted for: Best Customer Care, Diversity & Inclusion Initiative of the Year 2022, Specialist Insurer of the Year (for Construction), General Insurer of the Year
We are proud to have partnerships with organisations such as Stonewall and Working Families, and our commitment to the Women in Finance Charter, the UN Women’s Empowerment Principles and Race at Work charter helps keep us accountable and transparent.
Inclusion of Diversity
We are striving to create a workplace culture where all our people feel included, and we are committed to building a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we operate in.
We know that diversity of thought, background and experience enables better decision making, improves the quality of our delivery and helps us to meet the needs of our customers.
QBE helps businesses build resilience through risk management and insurance.
As a business insurance specialist, QBE European Operations offers a range of insurance products from the standard suite of property, casualty and motor to the specialist financial lines, marine and energy. All are tailored to the individual needs of our small, medium and large customer base.
To find out more about why you should work for QBE, visit our careers website.
If you have a passion to contribute to QBE’s vision of enabling a more resilient future for our customers and the community, we encourage you to APPLY NOW! Simply click the “apply” button to submit your CV and other relevant documents, and a member of our friendly Talent Acquisition team will be in contact to discuss your interest further if you meet the requirements of the role.
Please make the Talent Acquisition aware should there be any reasonable adjustments that may need to be made for the interview and the remainder of the recruitment process.
How to Apply:
To submit your application, click "Apply" and follow the step by step process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
QBE is an equal opportunity employer and is required to comply with equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction it operates.