Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
1What Is the Opportunity?
Travelers Software Engineering team enables a seamless customer experience through technology solutions. As a Software Engineer I you will play a key role in growing and transforming our Technology landscape.
You will leverage your engineering background and problem solving skills to solve, test, and implement some of our most challenging end-to-end engineering tasks that will ultimately advance our organization through technology.
We offer a unique opportunity to advance your career in an innovative environment. Our award-winning culture of collaboration and diversity provides meaningful options for community involvement and will encourage you to learn and grow in ways you never expected.
This role is eligible for a £3,000 referral bonus. If you are successfully referred by an employee at Travelers Europe, both you and the person who referred you could be eligible for this bonus.
Travelers Europe currently offers flexibility to employees who wish to work on a hybrid basis in accordance with our Hybrid Work Arrangements Policy. This entails full time employees working three days a week in the office and two days at home (or pro rata for part-time employees). This policy may be changed at the Company’s discretion.
What Will You Do?
- Partner with team to tackle well-scoped projects including analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of intermediate complexity.
- Provide mentorship as needed to team members on complex engineering solutions while fostering a team environment.
- Perform end to end engineering tasks for specific system assignments including developing, analyzing, configuring, testing, debugging, troubleshooting, documenting, health monitoring/alerting, and implementing based on user or system design specifications.
- Collaborate with a robust team of engineers to sharpen your skills, learn various emerging technologies while working on key business initiatives.
- Research and apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions for software engineering problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Strong programming/development experience.
- Experience designing and implementing data driven applications using relational and NoSQL databases.
- The ability to deliver work at a steady, predictable pace to achieve commitments, decompose work assignments into small batch releases, and contribute to tradeoff and negotiation discussions.
- Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to understand technical concepts and possess in-depth knowledge of immediate systems worked on.
- Proven problem solving skills allowing you to determine source of issues in unfamiliar code or systems and the ability to recognize and solve repetitive problems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely articulate information and collaborate with team members effectively.
- Intermediate leadership skills with a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying personal growth opportunities.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Previous programming/development experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Private Medical Insurance: On commencement of employment, you are eligible for single cover provided by Travelers, with the option to add cover for your dependents, at your expense through payroll deduction.
- Retirement: Travelers will make a basic contribution of 9% of pensionable salary to your Group Personal Pension Plan (“GPPP”). If you decide to contribute an additional amount from your salary, you will receive an increased company contribution up to a maximum of 3%. This would bring the total company contribution to 12%.
- Holiday Entitlement: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 25 days holiday entitlement annually, plus the opportunity to purchase additional days to allow for up to a total of 35 holidays per year.
- Wellness Programme: The Travelers wellness programme is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Employee Assistance programme provides access to professional counseling services and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through the EAP, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards programme that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.