Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
1What Is the Opportunity?
Here at Travelers we’ve got big ambitions! We are looking to add an Associate Underwriter to strengthen and enhance our market leading Power and Utilities team based in London.
We’re looking for someone with prior underwriting or broking experience in a similar line of business to underwrite and process new and renewal business. You’ll also be responsible for administering mid term adjustments and support the team in monitoring rate adequacy of all business written or handled.
Travelers Europe currently offers flexibility to employees who wish to work on a hybrid basis in accordance with our Hybrid Work Arrangements Policy. This entails full time employees working three days a week in the office and two days at home (or pro rata for part-time employees). This policy may be changed at the Company’s discretion.
This role is eligible for a £3,000 new joiner bonus. If you are successfully referred by an employee at Travelers Europe, both you and the person who referred you could be eligible for this bonus.
What Will You Do?
- Support the overall profitability, growth and retention of the Line of Business and consistency of all related underwriting initiatives.
- Underwrite on a day to day basis in accordance with limited authority to ensure a timely and professional service to clients.
- Ensure that business is written in accordance with the Company's policies, procedures and controls (including audit requirements) at all times, and adheres to Lloyd's Underwriting Management Standards ensuring business is only accepted in accordance with: individual underwriting authority where relevant, with approval under the Lloyd's Individual Registration Byelaw and the Unit's business plan for the relevant year.
- Utilise appropriate systems to accurately enter quotes, risks and endorsements, so as to ensure correct management, statistical and regulatory reporting.
- Promote Travelers Line of Business, distribution strategy and philosophy and provide guidance on the Company's underwriting philosophy, procedures and requirements by building strong partnerships with Agents, Brokers and Customers.
- May gather data and prepare reports to support the professional execution of corporate/business underwriting policies/standards.
- Each individual has responsibility for:
- Acting in accordance with Travelers Companies' Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, Business Excellence Policy and all HR policies and procedures.
- Delivering high quality service to brokers and customers in line with our service standards.
- Complying with all legal, insurance, regulatory, Lloyd's and Sarbanes Oxley rules and guidelines.
- Acting at all time in compliance with the Treating Customers Fairly outcomes.
- Working as a team with colleagues within the Company and the Enterprise.
- Developing strong relationships with our key supporting brokers and customers and all other key external stakeholders.
- Adhering to the Company's policies and procedures.
- Keeping adequate records of all transactions undertaken with brokers, customers, and all other parties.
- Continually looking for improvement both from a personal and business perspective.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Previous relevant broking or underwriting experience preferred.
- Able to effectively share information and build team support.
- Able to communicate clearly. Demonstrates ability to speak clearly and express self well in groups and in one on one conversations
- Able to develop effective working relationships internally and externally.
- Actively attempts to influence events to achieve goals.
- Demonstrates ability to apply guidelines appropriately.
- Able to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Able to determine priorities and effectively schedule time.
- Basic knowledge in respect of Relationship Management. Beginning to seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships or alliances to meet goals and objectives.
- Expected to either already be studying, or be willing to study towards ACII qualification.
What is a Must Have?
- Previous Power and Utilities insurance experience.
- Previous experience of Windows MS Office.
- Secondary level education or equivalent required.
What Is in It for You?
- Private Medical Insurance: On commencement of employment, you are eligible for single cover provided by Travelers, with the option to add cover for your dependents, at your expense through payroll deduction.
- Retirement: Travelers will make a basic contribution of 9% of pensionable salary to your Group Personal Pension Plan (“GPPP”). If you decide to contribute an additional amount from your salary, you will receive an increased company contribution up to a maximum of 3%. This would bring the total company contribution to 12%.
- Holiday Entitlement: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 25 days holiday entitlement annually, plus the opportunity to purchase additional days to allow for up to a total of 35 holidays per year.
- Wellness Programme: The Travelers wellness programme is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Employee Assistance programme provides access to professional counseling services and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through the EAP, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards programme that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.